Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Joaquin sucks.

Well, It's Officially Hurricane Season 2009 for the Atlantic Coast. Tropical Storm Bill officially became a Hurricane in the Atlantic this morning. The Weather Channel has listed the names of this year future Hurricane's in alphabetical order. As I scrolled down to "J" with hopes that "Jenna" would be this year's winner, I was disappointed, again. Joaquin is this year "J" winner. Joaquin? really? What a stupid Hurricane name.

Anyways...even though I am an avid Weather Channel watcher, I usually don't pay that much attention to the Hurricanes. I mean, I live in Arkansas...they just don't usually effect me. Two years ago I paid attention because I lived in Houston, and they affected me. Then after I moved back to Arkansas, I didn't care anymore (sorry Gulf Coast--don't mean to be rude) But after last year's Hurricane season I'm going to pay attention again.

Hurricane Gustav and then Ike hit the Gulf Coast hard last year and they didn't weaken too much by the time they came up to Arkansas. And The rain came down and the flood's came up, the rain came down and the floods came up, the rains came down and the floods came up, and I'm foolish and put my house in a flood plane, 300 yards from the river!

Here's some photo's from last summer. The farm... notice the fence post sticking up about 5 inches above the water. And yes, those are round hay bales on the right.

This is all supposed to be pasture...Can you see the barn...in 6 foot deep water?
I'd never seen anything like the flooding of last summer before, and neither had anyone else since 1969. The spot where my house is now, wasn't flooded last year, but still...it could happen! Now that I live on the river and am at risk to be carried down stream, I figure I might better start tracking these Hurricanes again...you know...just in case...



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin