It is truly amazing what you can find on the internet.....
The movie Slingblade staring Arkansas native Billy Bob Thorton was filmed here in Benton, where I live. A little while back the newspaper here did a write up on the old Saline River bridge, a rickey old bridge that was featured in a scene in the movie. The city was trying to restore the bridge but in my opinion its way past repair.
I'm a huge fan of history and I love seeing history. I took the Chocolates down town for a walk around the downtown square after work today and decided I would try to find the bridge and take some photos.
After a few wrong turns we found the bridge and walked down to the river. There were a lot of people down there fishing, we also saw another chocolate lab who made friends with Banjo. ha! I got some good photos of the bridge too. You can see there on my 365 page.
I got home and thought I'd look up some stuff on the internet about the bridge. I found it was built in 1899 and quit being used in the 70's. Anyway, finding that information led me to find a lot of neat info about the bridge on our farm!! I was so suprised at how beautiful that massive concrete bridge used to be. It makes me sad that they tore down a beautiful historical bridge and built this big ugly concrete bridge. Yeah it's safer and it will last longer but it's plain and ugly...why couldn't they have built it back as pretty as it used to be??
ok here it is now...i've browsed all my photos and this is the only photo I have of the bridge.... can you kind of see it there behind the barn? or kind of see it in the tree line?? It's just a regular old bridge. I should go out and take a photo of it to show you but I'm too lazy...maybe I'll do it later :) or not.
Well anyway Look at these photos i found online...this is what it used to look like back before it was rebuilt in the 80's!!!
Isn't it beautiful?!
Oh This makes me sad! Why tear down such a beautiful structure and build such an eye sore?? why not rebuild something just as beautiful?
Ugh, I hate change.





3 comments:
It is sad when we tear stuff down that used to be beautiful. We are in such a rush to build new things and IMO things just aren't built the way they used to be. I see so many houses that were built so sturdy a long time ago and you can see all the time and heart put into it... not so true anymore. Don't get me wrong... there are a lot of great builders that do put a lot of effort and love into what they are doing but it just seems like there are many who don't.
i agree. the old bridge was so beautiful. i hate when things that replace old buildings are ugly. schools that are built these days just don't have the character and detail that they used to. plus, they're not even built well either.
it makes me sad too. :(
Great pictures and very neat story!!
Post a Comment